Friday, December 9, 2011

Study plans and book over and over again until the details start to become clear.  It's funny how we expect children to learn things at school after they have been taught or told things once or twice ("Don't you remember ?  We did that only yesterday/last week/last month/ in grade 4).  Yet here we are reading and looking at pictures over and over before it really starts to become clear in our heads. Hmmmm....

Comments on the various discussion boards on the topic of which kind of plywood to use are endless and very interesting.  It is amazing how many people take the time to answer questions and give their input into the topic. Great!
I have decided to go the cheap way for a variety of reasons.
1. Not a Cadillac boat.
2. To be used by me over a limited number of years
3. The other boat I made (stitch and glue plywood) has lasted well with just a paint job for 5 seasons so far and that was made out of Meranti.
4. The Meranti plywood I have found looks really good with no filling on the surface ply

I wonder how accurate the drawing and cutting needs to be to get a good boat out of this.  In my experience transferring from paper drawings to wood and then cutting with power tools never seems to provide perfect shapes.  Perhaps they might be out 1/8 or 1/16 inch here and there.  I have read that this method of building allows for small mistakes because of the use of epoxy fillers.  We'll see.  I don't want my boat to end up like the Marco Polo.  But then again she was the fastest ship in her day!


No comments:

Post a Comment