Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Art Background

  My art training continues to be useful.
I was trained as a commercial artist and all my life many skills that I had learned in that training have proved over and over to be useful in so many different ways.
Today's job in the studio was to transfer various shapes from the plans onto plywood ready for cutting.  I could have cut out the shapes and drawn around them on the plywood.  I could have used a sharp point, like a compass, push pin or nail to mark various points through the plan onto the plywood.  None of these appealed to me so after some thinking (there is lots of this in boat building I think!), I remembered how we learned to transfer designs from one surface to another.  Essentially it was a method of creating ones own carbon paper.  Simple and it works.
Step 1    Using a soft pencil - 2B will do - scribble on the back of the plans where the lines you want trace are-

           
Step 2     Turn the plans over onto the plywood and using a hard pencil trace over the lines on the plans                transferring the graphite from the pencil scribbles onto the plywood.



The lines on the plywood should be quite visible as long as enough graphite was scribbled onto the back of the plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment